• Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Decrease font size
  • Default font size
  • Increase font size
Home Law Practices International Adoptions
Article Index
International Adoptions
Department of Homeland Security Approval
Foreign Adoption Process
Immigrant Visas
All Pages

International Adoptions

AdoptionAdoption law creates the legal relationship of parent and child between persons who are not each other's biological parent or child. It is largely a product of state law. Adoption laws vary from state to state. There are also different types of a legal adoption. But whether you decide go through an adoption agency or to adopt from a private person, a decree of adoption usually means that the legal relationship of the adopted child is completely severed with its biological parents and family.

To complete an international adoption and bring a child to the United States, prospective adoptive parent(s) must fulfill the requirements set by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS), the foreign country in which the child resides and sometimes the state of residence of the adoptive parent(s).

These requirements may appear daunting but at the Law Offices of Bita Hamidi we will help you in every step and provide you with expert legal advice to unite your family.

There are two legal ways to bring an adopted child into the county.
  • Immigration/Adoption of child based on 2 years residence through submitting Form I-130: If you adopt a child before the child turns 16, and you live with the child for two years as the child's primary caregivers, then you may file an I-130petition for an alien relative., The petition may be filed after the 16th birthday, and the two years may cumulate after the 16th birthday.
  • Immigration /Adoption of an orphan through submitting Form I-600: If you adopt or intend to adopt a child who meets the legal definition of an orphan, you may petition for that child at any time prior to the child's 16th birthday, even if the adoption takes place subsequently (and in certain cases, the adoption does not occur until the child comes to the U.S.)